The Power of Istikhara

Tuesday, February 02, 2010



After trying with my father for soo long we
 were finally at the hospital with his eye dilated. He was to go in and have his cataract removed. Quick n simple!

But as previously agreed with the doctor, a backup eye
should’ve been around in the case of any complications.

Unfortunately after inducing the medication in his eye we found out that he wasn’t. So my mother and sister were very upset, nervous n worried!

“Are you sure u want to go through with this?” they asked my father
‘This is really unprofessional! We have it written down in the notes.’ They said to the dr.

‘I’m sorry. I don’t know how this misunderstanding happened. I do have it in our notes but….’ The dr replied.
By now everyone was slightly irritable. The nurses bringing the consent papers for

my father to sign. My father, anxious to get the whole thing over n done with. My mother wanted to get my father out of the hospital ASAP and as for myself, I couldn’t

believe that after all the begging n nagging to get him there, he was now indirectly being asked to leave!

Eventually though, my father signs the papers n says that now that he was there n his eye prepared for surgery he would go for it. “Tawakkaltu ala Allah!”

Trying to mask her fear, my sister returns to the room and asks my father “Did u

pray Istikhara?” “Yes I did….I said the duaa”, he replies. So with nothing more left to say she leaves.

My head starts spinning ! ”OMG! Knowing my father, he’s going in to do aprocedure on HIS EYE, and I’m sure that he just said the duaa (istikhara) in his own words!!!

What were we to do?!”Panicking I say to him, “ Now that we’re just waiting for them to roll u in, how about u repeat the Istikhara duaa after me?”


But the ironic thing was that while he was repeating it after me, I was thinking to myself that what could stop the surgery from going ahead now?

Now that both the theater and doctor were ready! Now that my father had signed the consent and my mother had accepted his decision!

“Fee Hufth Allah Ubooi” we wish him off.
“It’s only a 25 to 30 minute procedure , don’t worry” says the doc.

But an hour later and we’re still waiting for some news of Ubooi!

“Please, will u come in with me?” a nurse asks me, coming out of the theater.
MY HEART STARTS POUNDING IN MY EAR! Why is he asking me in? Why me alone? Allah! Ya Allah istir!

With each step heavier then the other I enter the theater and SEEEE
The doctor and MY FATHER CHATTING AWAY!

Confusion obvious in my eyes, seeing that nothing had happened since they had left us an hour ago, the doctor looks up, raises his shoulders and simply says “The machine does most of the work and it just DIDN’T work!”

The machine didn’t work? The machine didn’t work!

SUBHAN ALLAH WITH THE POWER OF ISTIKHARA AND THE POWER OF DUAA!

I think I will never forget that day as long as I live!
It showed me how little I knew!
It taught me how arrogant I was!
Thinking I knew all there was to know n there was no stopping the procedure!
But most importantly, it showed and taught me the power of duaa and istikhara!



( 2: 186)And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided.

1 comment:

halo said...

Jazaki Allah khair for ur encouraging words :)

Post a Comment