Close your Eyes, Make a Wish

Tuesday, January 26, 2010













"To see Allah (SWT) and the Prophet (PBUH)... And Abu Bakr Al Sadeeq and the Prophet Yusuf" Noora, Age 35
"A Red Sports Ferrari, a pet wolf, and I want to be a millionaire" Hamani, Age 9
"My very own "Singing Chipmunks" just like Alvin and the Chipmunks" Mariam, Age 9
"A mountain of stickers" Nocturnal, Age 6
"Peace!!!" Mad Engineer, Age 27
"Eternal sense of inner serenity" Um Yousif, Age 46
"To tango with the most beautiful woman ever!" Forever young, Age 29 going on 19
"Two Barbie dolls and a trophy for being a winner" Zooz, Age 7
"A million and one kids" Infertile but Content, Age 35
"Freedom" Sultan, Age 25
"Not having to make choices" Confused One, Age 34
"To drink from Alkawther" Yumma, Age 69
"To settle down. Just don't want to keep racing with time" Single mother, Age 37
"My husband only thinner and not bald" Workaholic, Age 35
"To own a house by the sea" Slums Dweller, Age 55
"To never feel sick again" Tumor Fighter, Age 15
"My Mama and Baba" Orphan girl, Age 19
"To marry George Clooney or his look-alike" Blissful, Age 24

These are examples from what I call the "Paradise Wish List". I gathered some of the most interesting responses to the question "What would you like to have in Paradise?" I heard everything from hilarious to heart-breaking. Then, I thought about how we Muslims forget that we have access to the greatest wish list known to humankind.

I thought about how I would do anything in my power to grant the wishes of any of my children. I have always been their genie... "Their wishes... my command"... Then I came to the realization that I could be showing them the route to Paradise. I could be telling them that there will come a time in Paradise when all their wishes will come true insha-Allah... I could be telling them that it's all about being patient... "Alsabr"... I felt uneasy thinking about how oblivious I was to the greatest wish list of all... our Paradise wish list...

And guess what?.. This special wish list is backed by a promise... A promise by whom you ask? A promise made by Allah, the Compassionate and the Merciful. If only we could live by this divine promise that the day will come in heaven where we will be granted anything and everything we desire, don't you think we'd do things a little differently? Don't you think we'd all be praying for that one way ticket to paradise? Think about it, my friend... what's on your "Paradise Wish List"?

قُلْ أَذَلِكَ خَيْرٌ أَمْ جَنَّةُ الْخُلْدِ الَّتِي وُعِدَ
الْمُتَّقُونَ كَانَتْ لَهُمْ جَزَاء وَمَصِيرًا )
25:15 (Furqan, translation Y. Ali) Say: "Is that best, or the eternal
garden, promised to the righteous? for them, that is a reward as well
as a goal (of attainment).

لَهُمْ فِيهَا مَا يَشَاؤُونَ خَالِدِينَ كَانَ عَلَى رَبِّكَ وَعْدًا
مَسْؤُولًا )
25:16 (Furqan, translation Y. Ali) "For them there will be therein all
that they wish for: they will dwell (there) for aye: A promise to be
prayed for from thy Lord."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wish list,i would like to have a signature of Messi.What do you wish for.

Post a Comment